This hearty, tasty salad is a meal in itself and makes a great contribution to a church or community pot luck dinner.
- 4 cups seeded, diced tomatoes
- 1 cup peeled, diced (1/2 – inch pieces) cucumber
- 2 cups diced (1/2-inch pieces) salt-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 15-oz. can salt-free chickpeas
- 1/2 cup flat parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
Directions: Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, mozzarella cheese, chickpeas and parsley leaves in a bowl and toss until all the ingredients are well distributed. Combine the oil, vinegar, chili powder, garlic, and pepper in a separate bowl and stir until well blended. Pour this mixture over the tomato mixture and toss again. Sprinkle with a bit more black pepper and lemon juice. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to stand for at least half an hour before serving.