Here’s the minimalist way to use up all the tomatoes and zucchini that arrive at the end of summer. It’s best, of course, with the ripest, sweetest tomatoes.
- 5 or 6 medium tomatoes, sliced in circles
- 4 medium to large zucchini sliced in 1/4 inch ovals (cut diagonally)
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsps. parsley, roughly chopped
- olive oil as needed
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Use a baking dish that can go from the oven to the table. Drizzle some olive oil to coat the bottom and the sides of the dish. Place a layer of zucchini slices so that they cover the bottom of the dish. Cover them with a layer of tomato slices, then follow with another layer of zucchini. Continue the alternate layers until the dish is full. If possible, stack the vegetables a little higher than the top of the dish because they will fall slightly in the oven. Season the dish with the black pepper and sprinkle the herbs over the top. Drizzle with a little more of the oil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.